Monday, October 6, 2014



Hello boys and girllss!

It's been a reallyyy long time since I wrote a blog post while my sister has been diligently maintaining this blog and keep it going.
That's one of the reason why I wanted to make a blog together with her! XD!

A little catch up here, last September, I started a new life here in Shanghai after deciding to take a Chinese course program at Donghua University.  Although not as strategic located as Jiaotong University, Donghua university is located just a couple metro stops to downtown. Specifically, it's located in Changning district of Shanghai in west yan'an road and zhong shan road (in case some of you are interested to study here as well. hehe!). The reason I choose Donghua rather than a more famous Jiaotong Uni or SISU which has a bunch of Indonesians is because first, Jiaotong Uni does not provide dormitory to their international student which can cause more hustle, especially since I will only stay here for a semester. For SISU, it's simple, location, location and location. SISU is located further down in Songjiang district that take about an hour to downtown. Even my friends who study there seldom comes down to town because it takes too long! Lol.

Anyway, enough about my new school, the important thing though, while living here, I will be trying many new restaurants starting from the local cuisine to dessertt! I cannot wait to share them one by one here with you all. Just finger cross that I will post a post at least every other day to catch up the food that I eat last month too! hehe :)

First up, I want to review this little noodle shop called Lao Di Fang (老地方)
I went there during my birthday and eat my birthday noodle (寿面) there. In Chinese, there is a belief that if you eat noodle during your birthday, you will have a long lasting life. Not just eating, but you cut your noodle with your spoon or chopsticks (biting is acceptable I guess) but instead, you should slurp your noodle.

I came there with 2 other friends at around 11.30am and we are so lucky that it just started get very crowded right after we were seated. The dining room is very tiny with only 4 big tables with around 8 chairs each. You should expect to sit beside other people if you eat there.

For the three of us, we decided to try out three kind of noodle, Zha Jiang Mian (炸酱面), spicy minced pork noodle

Cong you rou si ban mian (葱油肉丝拌面) - the classic scallion oil mixed with pork and greens topping noodle.

Last but not least, shan si mian (鳝丝面) - noodle topped with fried unagi (eel). This noodle has a slightly thicker sauce compared to the other noodle. slightly thick and saltier.

Looking at the other people's order, we also decided to order one fried pork cutlet or zha zhu pai (炸猪排) for share.

I, myself, choose the classic scallion oil noodle to finish by myself while my friends take one each of the other two. I really really enjoy the noodle and it's one of the best noodle I have tasted anywhere else! The chewiness is just perfect and if you eat the classic scallion noodle and love spicy food, enjoy this with the chili oil on the table. It's just a perfect combination together.

I will for sure come back here again when I crave for noodle. Next time, I'll probably try the noodle soup. Oh by the way, aside from the fried pork cutlet, you can also order the spicy minced pork or fried unagi a la carte and topped that yourself. It's perfect if you want to share and mix the topping with friends, just order a classic noodle, and share the toppings :) Just bare in mind that each noodle has different sauce as well, one with chili vinegar oil, scallion oil and the soy based thick sauce (kind of like a hoisin/oyster sauce) for the eel.

One advise that I can give if you are a foreigner, international student, shanghai expat or whatever you call it, come here prepare and know what you want to order because this is a truly local noodle joint that all of the menus are in Chinese. Or else, you could as well point out other people's dishes and ask for the same one to their laoban. The restaurant is always busy and crowded, you will not have time to think what you want to order because the other people will start looking at you impatiently! :)

Okay, that's quite a long post I guess. Until next time! Cheersss!

Lao Di Fang Noodle Shop 老地方面官
Address: 233 Xiangyang Lu, near Yongkang Lu 襄阳路233近永康路
Telephone: +86 21 6471 0556
Hours: 11am-2pm, 5pm-6:30p

X.O
Y.D.W


0 comments:

Post a Comment