Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Yesterday is the start of my busy weekdays routine and I guess I deserve a great meal, am I not? Hehe~
I actually did not really plan to go out for a nice dinner yesterday night, but I coincidently finished my work shift together with my roommate (Yes! my part time job is the same as hers! LOL) and being together, we cannot pass out this opportunity and doing nothing, therefore, we decided to have an Italian dinner at Da Marco.

If you live in Shanghai, you will probably know Da Marco already. It has received many recognition and awards years by years such as Best Italian Restaurant in City Weekend, Best Italian in That's Shanghai and Best 10 Restaurant Awards from Timeout Shanghai. 

The restaurant have a relaxed atmosphere and are designed along the lines of Italian cozy trattoria. Chef Marco Barbieri created a simple yet soulful food utilising local and seasonal ingredients for the menu. 

 

The choices of foods are massive though! We were quite overwhelm by the amount of choices available especially for the pasta. I really love to try the Italian appetizer for the stater but we were only 2 people and I don't like wasting food :(

In the end we decided to order a pasta, pizza and dessert to share.

For the pasta, the waiter recommend the angel hair in seafood soup but then we decided to try one in the special menu instead just to make sure that we tried their "homemade" pasta. 


It's Orecchiette Alla Zimgara (RMB78), a homemade Orecchietta topped with mussel, porcini mushroom with cream tomato sauce. I love the sauce so much, it's tasty and has a lot of flavor, just a perfect combination of a perfect tomato and cream base pasta; cream tomato sauce! the mussel and porcini mushroom were also good, fresh and melt in your mouth. Unfortunately, the downside is the pasta itself. Me and my friend both agreed that the pasta was quite undercooked. However, I do not know if they were supposed to be like that as last time one of my Italian Chef Professor at UNLV stated the same, non-Italian used to eat pasta that's actually too soft and overcooked(?) Well.. Before I become a pasta expert, just bare in mind that this is only my personal review about the pasta :)



For the pizza, we are going for the classic Margherita al Prosciutto Crudo (Margherita Pizza with Parma Ham - RMB88). No need more explanation, it's as simple as that. Tomato base pasta, mozzarella, and parma ham. It tasted yummy and the ratio of tomato, mozzarella and parma ham was quite balanced. My friend said that she prefer to have more mozzarella after her first bite but then, it was actually okay as the parma ham was quite salty to cover the lack of mozzarella taste. Perhaps, it would be wayyy better to have it with buffalo mozzarella! It just too expensive to add on that cheesee, it's an additional RMB48.



For dessert, we ordered Souffle al Cioccolato (Chocolate souffle with Vanilla ice cream - RMB 58). It was quite a disappointing dessert. It tasted good but it's not a souffle! First, the presentation was not that appealing for a souffle dessert and then, I tasted it and it more tasted like a chocolate fondant than a souffle. The inside is not soft like I first thought it would be. 



Overall, being in Shanghai, I agreed with most people that Da Marco is a must visit. It has a great atmosphere, great food and the best of all, value for money. I would recommend come with a group of people so you could try many different pasta dishes. I wouldn't personally recommend the souffle but try the classic Tiramisu. Also, if you plan to eat there during the weekend, reservation is highly recommended as they are always full and crowded.

Da Marco Italian Restaurant
(Main Branch)Metropark Service Apartment 
No. 103 East Zhu An Bang Road Shanghai
上海市东诸安浜路103号
Tel/Reservation: 021-62104495/62110088
Email: damarco@damarco.com.cn
Website: restaurants.damarco.com.cn/
Other branch available at Pudong New Area.

- YDW

0 comments:

Post a Comment